Friday, April 06, 2007

Good Friday Road Race


















The first road race of the season in this area is typically cold...but rarely this cold! The temperature was -6 celsius, but the windchill made it feel like -6000! Luckily the 1/2 women were grouped with the M2 men so that the peloton was bigger and warmer :). The first lap (of three) felt awful...so awful that after the first hill my friend Tara announces that "that was waaaaay harder than it should be" and that "she's going home!" :)...if I'd lived closer I might have joined her! Luckily after cresting 4 more drumlins we warmed up enough to start racing. There were various attacks from various people, but none could withstand the gale force headwinds to stay away. We came to the last corner as a big group and sprinted for what seemed like forever going into the wind - I won the women's race :).

Thanks to the organizers and all the volunteers for doing such a fantastic job today!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS LEIGH!!! Now that is dedication, when you could have been toasty warm snuggling at home with Jeff and the cats. Enjoy your evening and the special dinner Jeff made for you.
I don't work next weekend so I'll be there to cheer you on for sure!!
Love always
Mom

Anonymous said...

Congrats Leigh on the win! Hopefully Springbank will be warmer if you are still around then.

Marek

Brooke said...

Great job Leigh! Sorry it is so cold there!

Tara Ross said...

Leigh, sorry I had to ditch you! My legs are much better now! Good luck at Mosport...T